Florida was claimed by various nations before becoming a state in 1845. It was first a Spanish Colony, and then sold to Great Britain in 1763, and then ceded back to Spain in 1783 and the whole territory was sold to the United States in 1819. The first Masonic lodges in the Florida territory was charted from Scotland in 1768 called Grant’s East Florida Lodge № 142. In 1771 St. Andrew’s Lodge in Pensacola was chartered with the most of the brothers of this lodge being members of St. George’s Lodge № 108 (military) attached to the 31st Regiment of Foot. Between the 1770s and early 1820s several lodges were organized but were short lived. The last being Esperanza Lodge, in St. Augustine, warranted by the Grand Lodge of South Carolina in 1824. When the United States purchased Florida from Spain and made a territory of it, the fringe of settlements along its northern border comprised the southern outposts of an advancing American colonization. Except for a few Native American trading posts, the interior of Florida was an unclaimed wilderness.
In 1830, Jackson Lodge № 23 of Tallahassee invited Washington Lodge and Harmony Lodge to meet with it in its hall to consider forming a Grand Lodge of Florida. Convening on July 5, 1830 this convention adopted a resolution to form the Grand Lodge of Florida. On July 9, 1830, the Lodges met to adopt governing rules and on the following day, elected officers. The new Grand Lodge officers were installed using the Rules and By-Laws of Alabama. Under the new Grand Lodge of Florida, Jackson Lodge became № 1, Washington Lodge № 2, and Harmony Lodge № 3, all being dated July 6, 1830. Florida’s Masons created their grand jurisdiction 15 years before Florida joined the Union as the 27th state. Source